Monday, May 16, 2005

So here I am in Hong Kong. Boy is it ever fucking hot and humid.
The plane trip was another air Canada fiasco. I was supposed to fly direct over Alaska, but the plane broke down so they put us on another and then we had to stop over in Vancouver. Added another 5 hours to the trip. The food was atrocious. It was so bad that I resorted to drinking beer and clamato for food.

I've got lots of amusing pictures, but no way to get them out of my camera. I'm writing this at my uncle's place. Hopefully I'll find an internet cafe soon.

I'm staying in the New Territories, near Tai Wo train station. Its the Hong Kong equivalent of missisauga. middle of bumfuck nowhere. Actually, its pretty busy here too. There are people like you wouldn't believe and everyone talks really fucking loud about nothing at all. Only a slight change from Toronto. I've done lots of sight seeing, went to Cheng Chou islands and watched a parade for this bun festival. I got interviewed for TV but didn't really understand what the hell was going on. Story of my life. The parade was actually a lot of fun. Somehow i managed to scam a front row spot. They have these floats with sort of suspended kids. It looks like the little kid on the bottom is holding up another kid on the top with a fan or tennis racket of something. Of course there's a metal frame built into it all but its rather ingenious. Chinese kids are the cutest in the world. Then they grow up without exercise and medical care and end up short and ugly. Actually, people seem to have grown a bit since last came here 7 years ago. Am not the tallest person around anymore.

Hong Kong is very hilly, it would be incredibly beautiful and lush if there weren't a million appts and office buildings all over the place. The transit system is incredible and people are in general much more efficient.

I did a bit of shopping for clothes. Stuff is ridiculously cheap here. You can go to outlet stores and buy all the name brands for next to nothing. They're not even knock offs. They just cut the tags. Of course there's knock offs galore. You just look in the catalog for whatever Gucci/l.v handbag or whatever and then some guy brings it in from the back alley. Shopping is so cheap and crazy that even i like it. The food is also pretty cheap, and generally cooked hot and fresh. Eating and shopping are the great Hong Kong past times. This is definitely the land of conspicuous consumption.

tomorrow i go to Beijing. I can't wait.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad you're having a fun, cheap time! How long is your China tour?

9:40 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stop bashing mississauga!!!

1:23 a.m.  
Blogger kobuta said...

Guuuuuuuhchinesefoodyumyumyum...

Damn Air Canada. Wendy flew to England via British Airway and her comment was about how they kept feeding them every 5 minutes. Air Canada kept throwing drinks at us (the law students next to me got trashed...seriously it smelled like a bar).

The shopping is fantastic...city of perpetual sales! Have fun in Beijing !

4:29 a.m.  
Blogger theMak said...

gonna be in beijing for 5 days, then going on a tour of the silk road a couple days later

10:08 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey looks like you're having a lot of fun! let me know when u come back!

11:24 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home