Race Abandoned - Seasick
I went sailing this weekend. I was supposed to be in this offshore race on saturday, crewing for these guys who had never been racing before. Haha, we went out and the waves were pushing to almost 3 metres. thats like 9 foot waves. I kid you not. We couldn't see out of them. They were fucking huge. It wouldn't be such a big deal on the ocean because the distance between waves is much larger and so big waves tend to be big smooth waves. Luckily for us on lake ontario big waves are short cresting waves and it was worse than a roller-coaster.
Actually I would have been fine if I hadn't drank the coffee that one of the guys made as we left the dock. That shit was terrible and as soon as we got out I wasn't feeling so hot at all. I've never puked from being seasick, drinking, yeah but man, on the sea i have an iron stomach. Boy was I ever sick, I managed to unload the coffee out of my stomach but at least mu breakfest stayed down. Everybody else got pretty sick too. One guy puked 3 times and looked as pale and as green as fuck. Haha, all in all it was kind of funny. It would have been nice to do the race but then the race comittee couldn't set the marks. Apparently it was just too wavy for the little runabouts that they had. After all that puking and getting soaked it was abandoned. I thought we canadians were a tougher lot but I guess not. Really it wasn't that windy out. maybe 16 to 20 knots. So not a huge deal but the wind was from the east and these waves must have been building up for at least a day or so. At least it was interesting.
Next weekend is the UofT regatta out of PCYC. Lets hope I actually get to do some racing.
Actually I would have been fine if I hadn't drank the coffee that one of the guys made as we left the dock. That shit was terrible and as soon as we got out I wasn't feeling so hot at all. I've never puked from being seasick, drinking, yeah but man, on the sea i have an iron stomach. Boy was I ever sick, I managed to unload the coffee out of my stomach but at least mu breakfest stayed down. Everybody else got pretty sick too. One guy puked 3 times and looked as pale and as green as fuck. Haha, all in all it was kind of funny. It would have been nice to do the race but then the race comittee couldn't set the marks. Apparently it was just too wavy for the little runabouts that they had. After all that puking and getting soaked it was abandoned. I thought we canadians were a tougher lot but I guess not. Really it wasn't that windy out. maybe 16 to 20 knots. So not a huge deal but the wind was from the east and these waves must have been building up for at least a day or so. At least it was interesting.
Next weekend is the UofT regatta out of PCYC. Lets hope I actually get to do some racing.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home